VOCATIONAL SERVICE AWARDS FUNCTION ON 21ST JANUARY 2021
Recognizing unsung persons for their valuable service to society that is often not highlighted in the media has been a key Rotary programme. This not only brings such social contributions to into public limelight, but also helps in motivating the persons recognized and even their other colleagues and the public at large to work for the benefit of society.
With this aim in mind, our club recognized and awarded the Vocational Service Awards this year to 5 Covid frontline fighters who served the society and the sick amongst us without fear and by serving for long hours in trying circumstances. These are members of “Sewavardhini” institution which is active in the fields of rural development, waste management, livelihood generation, water conservation and such social initiatives.
In Pune, Sewavardhini is the first NGO to run a PPP model for Sanitary Napkin Disposal. From Organic Farming to installation of Solar Pumps, from training workshops to liaison between CSR funding organizations and needy NGOs, Sewavardhini’s work encompasses a very wide swathe of social work. So it comes as no surprise that when Covid struck, Sewavardhini got into action on several fronts. From mask making to their distribution and awareness, distribution of groceries and even cooked food to donation of PPE kits, organizing of health camps, this organization went all out to fight the pandemic and also inspired thousands to involve themselves in this mission. We are proud to recognize the services of five such volunteers for their exemplary work for the benefit of society leaving aside their personal commitments. These volunteers are Avani Pendse, Sharayu Sonar, Jayant Gokhale, Pratik Satpute and Vishal Tapadia.
- Avani Pendse Performed labourious household work at the homes of several senior citizens.
- Jayant Gokhale Did night duty at Covid centre including cleaning of toilets and looking after patients’ needs.
- Vishal Tapadia Worked in extreme conditions at Covid centre day and night.
- Sharayu Sonar Personally did covid screening at Hadapsar, Yerawada, Gultekdi areas, even going house to house.
- Pratik Satpute Distribution of ration and LPG cylinders at Wadarwadi, Ramoshiwadi, Janwadi, specially to senior citizens.
With inputs from Rtn. Shardul Gandhi, Ann Meera Nimkar, Rtn.Varsha Dawale